Sunday, April 3, 2011

Baby prep


We got a changing table while we were still trying to create the parasite. We found one for a great deal at a yard sale. It was practically new, not wobbley, and only $15. It just needed some paint. It's original color is white, so why not change the color at the same time. We waited until we got the rest of the nursery furniture and decided to paint it dark brown to match the other pieces. I kind of wish we would have choose some bright color, like yellow or blue, since the room is kind of blah with gray paint, gray carpet, and all dark brown furniture, but I enjoy the matching aspect of painting it dark brown. I'll just have to find another way to add some color. I'm hoping we can buy some fabric for curtains in there. That would help. Anyways, this changing table is becoming quite difficult to paint. First, the man spray painted it, but it was running and then we ran out. I said since the spindles are painted, we'll just hand paint the rest so we won't have the issues with runs. We got the same brand and color paint (rustoleum) and I went to work painting it. I realized, once I got ready to paint, that the spindles were kinda painted. That's ok, I was going to go over them anyways. I got the top row done. I think it took over an hour to just get the spindles on the top. It would take another 2-3 coats, at least, to cover the white spots. For some reason, it does not stick the the white paint. The spray paint stuck, but I worked my hardest to get it to cover, and it appears to be still unpainted where the white is. So I'll be painting the flat spots in the middle. It covers great there, even better than the spray paint did there. This shows what the top two look like painted by brush, and the bottom is what they looked like before I hand painted. This bottom picture shows the white peeking out from under the brown. I could not capture what it looks like in real life, but it gives you some idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!