Friday, May 2, 2014

How I Fertilize My Tomatoes and Avoid Blossom End Rot


 


When I first started planting tomatoes, I had a lot of problems with blossom end rot.  I can not tell you how sad it is to watch your tomato ripen and then to lose part of the bottom, or sometimes the whole thing, to rot.  Blossom end rot can also happen to squash or peppers.  Through research I found out that blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency.  To fix this organically, before you plant your tomatoes, you can amend the soil by adding lots of compost, bone meal, or lime (only if the soil is too acidic).  This will take a while to increase the calcium levels in the soil.  The ideal pH for calcium absorption is around 6.5.  Once you notice blossom end rot, there isn't too much you can do.  Some people have luck using Epsom salt, Tums, powdered milk, or egg shells.  I have tried the Epsom salt, Tums, and egg shells, without a noticeable improvement.

I prefer using an extended release fertilizer.  I am not good at weekly fertilizing.  I often will forget to do it for a few weeks.  The real problem is when I forget I already did it and do it again.  I have caused a few of my plants to get fertilizer burn from it.  Luckily, Miracle Grow has plant fertilizers, that you sprinkle on the soil when you plant and it will last for 3 months.  I wasn't sure how well it would work, but I tried it and I haven't gone back.  I noticed a huge difference in the health and production of my plants.  The first year I just used the regular kind: Miracle-Gro Shake 'N Feed All Purpose Continuous Release Plant Food.  The containers are super heavy duty and then I just refill it with whatever extended release plant food I happen to purchase.  I still had some problems with blossom end rot, so the next year, I looked at different kinds of plant food, but I could not find any extended release with added calcium.  I was worried I would have to try weekly fertilizing again.  I ended up stumbling upon some at a local nursery.  It was perfect and I have not had a problem with blossom end rot since. 

I even converted my mother.  She planted her tomatoes in a raised bed filled with Miracle Grow Garden Soil.  I helped build her raised bed and we both thought the Miracle Grow Garden Soil would be a good choice and since it states that it will feed your plants (flower and vegetable) for three months, I couldn't wait to see how fast her garden grew.  When I visited her later in the summer, the plants looked ok, but she complained of the soil drying out too quickly and requiring daily watering.  I'm assuming there was too much peat moss in the mix.  She also had some blossom end rot, which surprised me as well.

Here is a link to what I use: Miracle Grow Shake N Feed Calcium for Tomatoes.  I'm starting to see it more often, but sometimes I still can't find it at Lowe's or my local grocery store.  I have had to buy it from amazon a few times.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!