Monday, June 2, 2014

Healthy Alternative to Key Lime Pie




I love to eat dessert at the end of the day.  I wish I didn't, but it's my weakness.  I try to keep unhealthy snacks out of the house.  I do have a bag of fun size chocolate candy as a good behavior award for my first grader.  It's very hard to stay out of it.  When I buy ice cream for the kids, I eat way too much.  I have found that it helps to have healthy sweets to eat.  Sometimes I just eat prunes, apples with peanut butter, or a peanut butter banana protein shake. 

The other day, at the store while buying yogurt, I saw some greek yogurt with mix ins.  It was on sale and about the same price I pay for plain yogurt, so I bought some to try them out.  We had banana yogurt with dark chocolate and almond pieces to mix in, coconut yogurt with roasted almond pieces and dark chocolate to mix in, and key lime yogurt with white chocolate and crumbled graham crackers to mix in.  Nobody really liked the banana.  The coconut was the right amount of sweet, had slightly salty almonds and the chocolate fit perfectly.  The key lime was ok.  The graham cracker wasn't very tasty. 

We decided to try to make our own key lime pie yogurt.  At first we tried graham crackers and white chocolate chips.  It was ok, we felt like we didn't need to white chocolate chips.  Next we tried just plain graham crackers.  The texture was off.  Then we tried smashing a nature valley granola bar and adding that.  It was so far the best.  We then tried adding sliced almonds or crushed walnuts to make it a little more filling and hopefully improve the taste and texture.  Now that was perfection.  I have eaten it almost every day for a month now, and still love it.  I don't usually enjoy the key lime yogurt, but with these mix ins, it tastes so much like one of my favorite desserts.

Just look at the nutrition facts


Marie Callender Key Lime Pie
Calories: 430
Total Fat: 18g
Total Carbohydrate: 62g
Protein: 5g

Greek Yogurt Key Lime Pie For One
Calories: 345
Total Fat: 16g
Total Carbohydrate: 36g
Total Protein: 17g

You can also enjoy it without the nuts.  I prefer it with the nuts, but they add a quarter of the calories.

Greek Yogurt Key Lime Pie For One (without nuts)
Calories: 245
Total Fat: 6g
Total Carbohydrate: 34g
Total Protein: 14g


 

Greek Yogurt Key Lime Pie For One

1 container Chobani Key Lime Greek Yogurt
1 Oats 'n Honey Nature Valley Granola Bar
1/8 cup or 2 Tablespoons walnut pieces or sliced almonds

Mix them all together and enjoy. 

The add-ins will fit in the yogurt container so no need to dirty a bowl


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!