Monday, October 4, 2010

Summer is over

It is time to reflect back on my eventful summer. Now that I've been staying home, the house is clean, we are all happy, and the garden was plentiful. Even the possum and squirrel were happy to enjoy the tomatoes. The squirrel also enjoyed my onions. Then the slugs enjoyed them, so we didn't get too many onions from the garden. We still have some, but they are disappearing quickly. I was lucky to have cherry tomatoes and last year's tomatoes re-seed themselves, so I had some yummy tomatoes with hardly any effort this year. The tomato seeds I bought this year ended up getting a fungus, so they didn't do as well as the re-seeded tomatoes. Last year's tomatoes were delicious. The cherry tomatoes were also better than they were last year. I ended up saving the seeds from my Big Boy tomatoes and Cherry tomatoes this year.

I also tried my hand at starting flower seeds. They were great until I left for two weeks and forgot to request that they be watered. My father-in-law and mother-in-law took care of my vegetables though. I paid them in all the vegetables they could pick during that time. They loved the tomatoes and zucchini, so I think it was a good trade.

We are now in the process of buying a house. We hopefully close on October 15th. It is a beautiful cape cod style house built in 1941. We are also getting an acre of land. We absolutely love it. Now if the mortgage company can hurry up and settle everything on their end, we can feel confident that we will get it on the 15th. It will make our budget stressful for a few months because moving is expensive, but with a raise due in June, we won't have to be poor for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!