Saturday, May 24, 2014

Quick and Easy Weekend Brunch, Sausage and Cheese Balls



We had a baseball game from 10:30-12:30 today.  We needed something quick and filling to last us till we could get a late lunch.  I pulled out some breakfast sausage from the freezer a couple days earlier so I could make sausage balls.  The prep on this is pretty quick and can even be done the night before.  I like to mix this in the stand mixer so I don't get my hands too dirty.  I shape the balls with one hand and a spoon.

These are also great appetizers or finger foods for a party!

To avoid sticking, you should cook these on parchment paper.  It sticks to greased aluminum foil.

Once cooked, I put the balls in a kitchen towel lined bowl to soak up any excess grease and to hold in the heat while we eat.  That way when we go back for seconds they are still warm.


The kids love that these are in the shape of balls and eat them right up.  
 

 I served it with fruit salad. The sweetness of the fruit complemented the saltiness of the sausage balls

 
 
 

Sausage and Cheese Balls

 
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour      
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 cups grated cheddar or Colby jack cheese 
  • 1 pound breakfast sausage
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
In mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, pepper, paprika, baking powder, and cheese.  Add sausage and butter.  Mix until well combined.  Roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Place balls about 1/2 inch apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until balls are golden and cooked through. 
 
Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!