Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Two Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta with Broccoli

We are just starting to potty train 2 year old M and so we have been going to the bathroom every 30 minutes.  The first day we just had leftovers, but we couldn't do leftovers two days in a row.  I had to come up with a quick and easy meal.

This meal is one I can make in 30 minutes.  I get out all the ingredients (not pictured is milk and parmesan cheese since I need that later). 

I freeze my own spinach.  Sometimes we can't finish that big bag of spinach that I buy so before it goes bad, I bag about 2 cups and freeze it so I can add it to soups or smoothies later. 

I buy my chicken in bulk then slice and place 2 pounds in a freezer ziplock quart size bag.  They are then already sliced for meals and thaw quicker then whole chicken breasts.


 
 
I boil the spaghetti in a pot while I cook the chicken. 
 
 

 
Then when the chicken is done and the pasta is almost done, I throw the broccoli on top of the chicken to steam while I drain the pasta. 
 



I had a lot of liquid so I drained most of it.


 
 
Then, I throw the pasta, pesto, and a couple handfuls of spinach in and stir it all together. 

 
 
Then I mix in a little milk and parmesan cheese.




Then it's ready to serve.  Perfect for busy days.
 


Chicken Pesto Pasta with Broccoli

8 oz elbow pasta
1-2 pounds sliced chicken breast
16 oz frozen broccoli florets
2 cups spinach, frozen or fresh, coarsely chopped
1 container Classico Pesto
1/2 cup milk
1/4 parmesan cheese

  1. Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Once it reaches a full boil, add the pasta and continue to boil until the pasta is tender (7-10 minutes). Once the pasta is tender, drain the pasta in a colander.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, thinly slice the chicken breast. Over medium heat, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and the sliced chicken.  Sauté until it is no longer pink (about 5-10 minutes).  Add broccoli to top of chicken and cover pot to allow broccoli to steam for approximately 3 minutes or until done.  If desired, you can then drain excess liquid.
  3. Add the pesto, pasta, and spinach to the skillet. Stir to combine and remain on heat for 5 minutes to warm back up.  Turn heat off.
  4. Add the milk and parmesan cheese.  Stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!